R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - New into electric onroad
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2013, 06:22 PM
MissingApexes
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

G'day mate,
Im in a similar position to you, though i decided one car may not do everything perfectly.
There are semi competitive shaft driven cars like the Team Associated TC4 etc that are durable enough for street running and relatively quick on a track.

Ultimately though all the quickest 1/10 touring are belt driven. They are less durable on harsh surfaces though where grit, stones, twigs etc will damage belts.

I would recommend the Sakura XI Sport. Only costs 125dollars delivered. You make it yourself which is a lot of the fun. You can buy ESC and Motors 32 dollars each from Hobbyking.com which are actually very good. Batteries also for similar money. A Protoform body again for similar money. Then a Flysky GT3C transmitter and a cheap servo for about 60 dollars. You will have a platform that is surprisingly competitive and costs relatively little. Best part is they are widely used (good for when you want setup tips) and parts are plentiful and very cheap!

I have got one with a trackstar turnigy 10.5 t running no esc timing and two notches motor timing on a gearing of 4.67. I ran the other day for three packs on a hot day (over 30degrees 90farenheit, track temp 61centigrade 140farenheit) and the motor never went above 56degrees.

Car handles well, is light and cheap and a great platform for learning the art or even for more experienced.

I just had to give in to the fact I have to go to the track when i want to use it.

Good luck with your search.