R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12th, Formula 1 and Pro 10 pan cars
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2002, 12:57 AM
NightKidZ
Tech Regular

Kyew: Yah man... now most local hobbyshops pushing nitro tourers very aggressively. Dunno why leh, are electric cars really that unprofitable?
I have my own theory, will offend some ppl but here goes.
Most ppl getting into this hobby tends to associate battery power with Nikko toy cars. To them, electric cars will always be the poorer cousin of the gas cars, slower, no noise, no siok and pathetic run time, "why bother" kinda of cars. Of coz, electric hardcores like me know the above is not true
But what does it take for a beginner to see that electric cars are not slow and the whine of a electric motor do sound intoxicating?
Lets be honest here, its usually the beginners in this hobby who spend MORE, wisely or otherwise.... Gas cars are percieved to be more complex and hence ppl tend to find higher costs for them easier to justify.
Add to that lot, electric cars tend to "buy and forget" to the hobbyshops involved, properly taken care of batteries last a long time but gas cars with always need their supply of nitromethane.
SIGH... until Singapore gets back to the time 2 years ago when electrics have a decent following..... it looks like dark days ahead for electric lovers here in the Republic