R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TT-01 Forum
Thread: TT-01 Forum
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2013, 06:33 AM
SteveM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dislike
Question, i was wanting to get a TT-01e for my son, as hes 8 and i know these are tanks. One problem i see is the gearing. What are my options for changing the spur gear to 48p (non-tamiya)? Is there a kit to do so, or?
The spur adapter mod is cheap and simple and all you need is the blue aluminium spur gear adapter from the Tamiya FF-03, part number 54234. You must carefully drill the center hole to the size of the TT-01 shaft and I recommend the use of a drill press to get the hole perfectly centered. Check out the pictures I posted on RCTech.net and look for post #2076 in this TT-01 thread.

Once you have made this modification, you can use any spur gear you like. You must keep in mind that the motor mount is not adjustable and has fixed motor positions for use with the proprietary Tamiya metric 48P gears. If you
go with the spur adapter mod and some after market spur gear, you will need to play around with various pinion gears to ensure proper mesh.

It can be tedious but if you want maximum performance and speed it's worth the effort. As your son is only 8, I'd stick with the Tamiya gears for a while longer and drop in a better motor to get more speed. Much easier to do than the spur gear mod.