View Single Post
Old 10-05-2013, 09:11 PM   #180
Ed Delgado
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
Sure there were some bodies out there already but the only chassis available were SS pan cars which were not yet setup for 1 cell. I've talked to 1 or 2 manufactures about the early days of WGT and their rolls in getting the class going. WGT started with the semi scale 200mm TC bodies but didn't really take off until there were WGT specific chassis. That's when it became big enough for the major races to take note and include them in the program.

At either rate the bodies that are currently available for 200mm pan cars do not have sufficient scale looks or detail to attract the scale enthusiasts.

Don't get me wrong...I don't mean to put a damper on things...I really like the idea of this class and hope it can come about.
You've missed my point completely. In fact you have it completely backwards: the WGT class was created to take advantage of the great number of scale 1/10 200mm GT bodies that had been around since the late nineties. I didn't have to talk to anyone about this because I lived it. I raced many of these bodies on the original HPI nitro RS4 during the late nineties. We use to also race GT bodies on our Serpent Impulses (the first race quality 200mm TC style chassis) back in the early 2000's at my old track in Miami including that F50GT1. HPI had their McLaren, Acura NSX, 1996 Porsche GT1, Toyota Supra and Mercedes CLK just to name a few. So there were plenty of scale GT bodies around at the time. PF and Parma could have made more realistic looking bodies but they chose not to-and the rule makers were ok with it. Scale realism was just not important to the right people. And I can think of at least two GT 200mm bodies of the top of my head that are available now and are beautifully scale but not legal because they are mid-engined cars, specifically Ferrari's: one is by Tamiya, an F430 (they make a 190mm and a 200mm "wide" version). How much more scale can you get than something from Tamiya? You also have the F50GT1 I mentioned earlier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	1119153  

Last edited by Ed Delgado; 10-05-2013 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Added pic
Ed Delgado is offline   Reply With Quote