R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Spektrum's New Active Vehicle Control - Opinions
Old 10-04-2013, 12:21 PM
hacker07
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TASMANIAC
Hi Guys,

Just saw the video for the new Vaterra MT and Losi Rally with Spektrum's Active Vehicle Control and wanted to ask if anyone knew if Radio Makers like Futaba and Sanwa would follow suit?

I want to buy a Futaba 4PKS-R but wonder if I should wait and see if they follow Spektrum's lead with the Active Vehicle Control.

Let me know what you think.

Here's the Video on The AVC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oPH42LwvqY
It likely wont make it into other brands as it is a patent pending technology at this time.

Originally Posted by MarkA
And for racing, would probably fall under the gyro ban that will get you a) thrown out and b) known as the worst of the worst because you weren't even cheating to make your car faster, you were making it drive better than you could...

As far as it helping a newb learn how to drive, you're better off just turning down the throttle epa and gaining speed back slowly while learning true car control.
For racers, there is a blinky mode so you know its off. However, this isn't for racers which is a very small portion of the market but is for the other 90% of the market that would be more of an enthusiast.

Before I tried it and worked with the team to develop this, I wasn't someone that thought it would be good at all. Now that it does what it does, I am totally sold on it for people coming into the hobby. For those that are in the hobby and have great vehicle control, you can turn it off, although in very low traction situations, it can aid you as well.

Think about the first time buyer. Go buy a car that says "way too many MPH" on the box, they go, grab the throttle, it oversteers, spins out and then hits a curb. Maybe after 10 or 20 times, that gets old. They have no one that knows what EPA is so they don't know what to do. Well, what they do is throw that car in their closet and never touch RC again. Would you really say that is best for the hobby? Not really.

Always keep in mind, it is fully and easily adjusted so it is something you can grow out of and even something that comes in handy from time to time to say let the wife or GF drive, or your kid that is new drive. You cant just think as a hardcore racer (which I admittedly am), you have to think like someone that knows nothing about the hobby and how to get them to have FUN with their new purchase right away so they are hooked and enjoying it.

Originally Posted by Grandturk
I don't get how this is a great thing for bashing. Isn't part of the fun of bashing spinning out and stuff?
That can be part of what is fun, and you can easily do that by turning the knob. For some, they want to go down a trial, while others want to hit a perfect jump...and so on and so on. To each his own and know you have something that can help those that don't have full control.

Folks, I cannot count the number of people we have had try this thing from Newbs to A-main at the worlds level drivers. They ALL said it is cool and works great for what its intended to do. It is intended for people to pick up the car and have the FUN that it is intended to have.