R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Confused Wheel/Tire Selection seems difficult
Old 10-03-2013, 03:58 AM
terry.sc
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tk1931
Tire compounds HPI doesn't seem to list what compounds are at least extensively on their website: I have been able to derive that the "D" compound is for long life and good traction.

"S" compound?? Pro compound?? Can't find any information on these compounds listed on their website, maybe I am overlooking it.
D is Durable. Harder compound but more consistent and longer lasting.
S is Soft. Softer compound so more grip at first but it goes off over time and wears faster.
Pro. Designed more for racing, more grip but even less durability.
The differences are all relative to each other, so the durable compound isn't hard and lasts forever, and the pro is not so soft it only lasts an hour.

Steel belted tires? Can't find any information on when these tires would be a good choice to use.
Nylon belted tyres are used for every race tyre these days. It stops the tyre ballooning when at speed for more consistent handling and better grip, and with a bigger and more consistent contact patch it also lasts longer than a non belted version.

Regarding tyre wear, because there are so many factors involved you can find quite often a softer tyre can last longer, because it is gripping the ground instead of sliding over it or wheelspinning. The only way to work out which lasts longer is to try different tyres and see.

Often times the tires only state what I believe to be the width dimensions: example 26mm, but leave out the OD and ID dimensions, which I believe is necessary in trying to determine what wheels will work with what tire.
Wheel diameters are a standard dimension, all wheels and tyres are designed around industry standards, the only difference is wheel and tyre width, which has standardised on 24 and 26mm. Buy any 26mm wheel from any manufacturer and any 26mm tyre will fit on it. Tyre diameters are also pretty consistent, the racing slicks are usually slightly smaller, but they are all more or less the same, just like treaded tyres are all more or less the same diameter. There are a few exceptions, such as the HPI Super Low tyres, and they usually come premounted because they couldn't sell them individually.

If you want to know overall dimensions the simplest way to look for something on Tower Hobbies website, they actually measure just about everything they sell.