R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - ORCAN
Thread: ORCAN
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2013, 06:58 PM
HHH
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Rebellion
I am using xray nt1 2013, and I'm using gear in first gear 17 and 60, and in second gear 22 and 54.

In the clutch using the clutch reverse of x ray with hard spring of xray, spring tightening to 0.8 mm.

The clutch hueco also 0.8mm, and the end play I adjust until practically have nothing to play and free to move the bell.I use setscrews in the flyweights and yellow clutch shoe.

Certainly in the document preparation engine engine washers MH brings me that I 0.33mm

Adjustment needles are not precisely tell as I take the motor will always 130 or 140 degrees
1. Your gearing sounds fine. Same as I use on most tracks (unless really large).

2. Try loosening the clutch spring to 0.4 to 0.5. When I use the xray hard spring or washer spring I find 0.8 to be too much. Gap and endplay sound fine.

3. I was asking about the low end tuning "turns in" because after Betram watched how I drive in Bangkok at the pre-worlds and worlds, he turned my low speed needle in all the way in and then backed it out only 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn. He then adjusted the high speed (richer) and made the idle high.

4. Temps of 130 to 140 C could be too high, too lean. When Alex Hagberg was here in Singapore last month and I was his mechanic--he was using Runner Time 16% and using my exergen temp gun (over the glow plug but not pushing down the bodyshell as Betram suggests for a more consistent temp measurement) Alex's engine was running 104C to 114C only. We had very high humidity and the air temp was 34C+. He TQ'd the race.

When I use VP Fuel or Byron my engine seems just nice around 115 to 120C (after 10 to 20 mins of racing). With Tornado a bit hotter at 125C.

I know comparing temps is not the best way because ther are many variables, but maybe these temps give you some extra information and reference points.

At the Pre-Worlds in Bangkok, after a 1 hour A main I saw Betram measure Dirk Wishnewski's engine temp at 120C at the end of the race using an exergen temp gun over the glow plug hole of the body, not pushing the body down.

Don't give up. The engine can be hard to tune but one you get it right it is very, very powerful.

Sam

Last edited by HHH; 10-02-2013 at 08:57 PM.