R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Evolution of RC car design. Where is it headed?
Old 10-02-2013, 03:05 AM
Chiefy 707
Tech Regular

Things will always be bound to change as technology improves. If we look at the shortcomings of our gear we can almost expect whats to come.

-Batteries. More voltage, less volatile.
-Radio and other electronic gear. Just look at our cellphones. I could imagine a radio that has the ESC, Rx, and transponder all in one compact unit.
-Materials. The Pagani Huayra's body uses carbo-titanium construction. If and when that material gets cheaper to produce and more widespread, I'm sure it will have an RC application. I can also see the use of molded carbon ceramics.

The use of stronger and lighter materials and more advanced electronics will ultimately affect the designs of our chassis'.

Something else I see down the road is the use of 3d printing. As that technology matures along with advancements in materials, I can see that affecting RC in a big way.

All this stuff is a ways off though. It can only happen when the costs allow it to.

The only thing that won't change though are fanboys saying "it's just a so and so clone". There are only so many different ways you can optimize (and compromise) the balance of a particular chassis, especially with some companies limited development budget.