R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 2013 U.S. VTA+ SOUTHERN NATIONALS in MUSIC CITY, U.S.A.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:22 PM
DARKSIDE
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

plenty of information as well as racers comments

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...-city-u-s.html

results:

http://results.rc50.com/Thunder_RC_N...le/09-22-2013/

video:

A-main VTA with driver intro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kizt521jcuM

all the race action is linked here or you can Google 2013 USVTA Southern Nationals

http://www.youtube.com/user/snoopyRC/videos

pics will be sent separate

A short race report is below.

Thursday September 19

I opened the doors to allow for racers to setup their pitspace and get situated. To my surprise due to this being an extra day from last year was the 30+ racers waiting at the door. They were ready to hit the track and very excited about being here. With the old layout I allowed for them to do a little test and tune. As with every year a new layout is laid down to make sure no home field advantage is present. After 5 hours of getting ready for the event, we closed the doors.

Friday September 20

Noticing we were needing more chairs for racers that brought family. I went and rented 30 folding chairs. As I returned to a packed parking lot with plates from different states. It would seem a lot of people didn't go to work Friday. To my surprise many of the out of town guys took a mini vacation to attend the event. With a new layout down similar to Vegas, the racers began control practice in 3 minute breaks. 10 straight hours of lap after lap to create a groove in the 95x50 carpet track. The traction was as dark as pavement. And when you add all the upgrades including a carpet room bathroom and fresh white paint on the walls, it really added to make the event that much better.

Saturday September 21

I opened track at 8am to get in a few more hours of practice at 2 minutes breaks. At 11am we went into National Anthem which is a must for all my events, concourse, group pictures, and drivers meeting. All went very well and finished on time before the 1 pm start of qualifying. 1st round of qualifying went to VTA. This is a 1 minute single car qualifier for the 50+ VTA cars only. Eric "EA" Anderson set tq with the only 6 lapper at 6/1:12.417 and fast lap at 12.229. With the the VTA setup. Regular qualifying began with USGT TC 12th scale and Jr VTA. With almost 20 heats, qualifying went on till early Sunday morning. After the qualifying I gave away half the prizes due to lateness of the day.

Sunday September 22

I opened up the track at 7am for the last chance qualifying. This allowed everyone to get in one more run to better their times. It also allows for additional racers that just got to the track for the 1st time. Our good friend Chris Cooper was one of those who has been battling illness but found himself able to come out and run one qualifier. This was also the only time I stepped away from promoting and tech to run my car with Mr. Cooper .After that I went back to tech and giving away prizes, ect.

After all the qualifying the main events were set. Jr VTA, USGT, TC, and 12th scale was single mains to determine the Champions from each class. VTA is the dominant class and the national title was going to the racer that could do it with triple A-mains. With this much competition and the feeling of something special about to happen, the racers took to the track with all they had.

After some very good racing and extremely good sportsmanship. The winners were decided on the track. And are listed below.

12th Scale B-main winner

Brad Norris

12th Scale A-main winner

Eric "EA" Anderson

17.5 TC D-main winner

Joe Roach

17.5 TC C-main winner

Chanc Saari

17.5 TC B-main winner

Bill Sydor

17.5 TC A-main winner

Michael Skeen

Jr. VTA National Title(The Belt)

David Owens Jr

USGT D-main winner

Gary Crispin

USGT C-main winner

Joe Roach

USGT B-main winner

Ryan Gracey

USGT National Title

Rich Murphy

VTA E-main winner

Zo Hess

VTA D-main winner

Jeremy Hardesty

VTA C-main winner

Brian Smith

VTA B-main winner

Joe Roach

VTA National Title

Robert King

In closing , this event has taken a life of its own. From complete motor tech with breakdown in VTA, to actual National titles and not just 1st place, to big time race feel and atmosphere to the point where top teir drivers are putting it all on the line. If anybody is wondering about this event, anytime A-main drivers at any event across the country like EA and Michael Skeen, come off the drivers stand after a 6 minute battle with their hands shacking, should tell you the level of competition here. And this is their home track.

I so hope I fulfilled every racers need and desire to come to the 2013 U.S.VTA+ Southern Nationals in Music City, U.S.A. Cya next year

Thank you

here are some of the emails I rec about the event

Hi Myron-

Thanks for all the info and photos. What a great event!! You did VTA racing a big service. Having produced some of the biggest events in RC Racing history myself, I know how much you will need a break and well deserved too.

Thanks,

Gary McAllister
McAllister Racing

Hi Myron:

I had a great time this weekend… even though I choked in my main!

Thank you for organizing this event. You did an amazing job and I heard nothing but positive comments from everyone.

Here is the highest compliment I can think of…

Both EA and Michael Skeen were visibly shaking after their dual in the A-main. And, both showed me how their hands were still shaking after it was over. It doesn’t get better than that.

In fact, this is the first time I have been genuinely nervous as any race on our home track. I was just as worked up Sunday as I have ever been at Snowbirds or Vegas.

This is what people look for when they come to a big race. They want that “big time” feeling that comes with knowing that one mistake will kill ya.

Fantastic job Myron. Thank you!

Tim

Thanks Myron….

Thank you,

Donald Natale

Team Associated/Associated Electrics Inc.

Senior Dealer, OEM & Customer Support

Sweet, Report and pics forwarded!
Charlie [email protected]

Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Myron,
Thanks for everything that you did to make the race a success. Even though i've only been racing TC's for about 7 months, never raced on carpet and didn't run very well, I had a good time. I did turn a 12.1 in practice thanks to your setup.
I've been oval racing for the past 20+ years with help from Hyperdrive, Novak, BSR and Xtreme RC Racing.

Zo
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	1117898   Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	1117899   Click image for larger version

Name:	get-attachment.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	1117900   Click image for larger version

Name:	lunch 2.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	1117901   Click image for larger version

Name:	995450_500288650052606_582398608_n.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	1117902  

Last edited by DARKSIDE; 10-01-2013 at 06:12 PM.