R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya TRF415
Thread: Tamiya TRF415
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2004, 04:24 PM
TryHard
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by TRF415boy
Well, i'm new on this board and didn't want to end up with reading the whole 180+ pages to find out (ok i'm exagerating). I used the LW suspension on my TRF 414 and i'm just getting a 415 now that you can get some at reasonable price. Plus, I've got experience from the SD about small bearings.

I didn't notice a huge weight difference in my bearings. All i'm saying i base it on my knowledge of materials, a full ceramic ball will just get destroyed at the first crash because it will not have any resilience.

All ceramic materials i came across were made out of steel, which surface is then impregnated with an additive by being warmed to a few 100's degrees and then placed in a atmosphere saturated with the additive we want to use (like nitride).

The additive diffuses into the material to depths of a few microns, then the part is quenched. The nitride on the surface of the mild steel makes for a quenching only on the surface and not in the core of the material (because mild steel cannot be quenched). I may be wrong but I know that there have been problems with ceramic bearings in bikes, because the surface of the balls was peeling off, as the core was deformating and the coating (which is not a coating in reality) could not beca
use it was too hard.
Howdy Fab....