R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class
Old 09-28-2013, 08:02 PM
hitcharide1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Hmm

Originally Posted by howardcano
Unfortunately, I don't think ROAR is going to do that. This group on RCTech is probably the best for creating the rules.

I do agree that something more should be done, though. Here are my humble suggestions:

Suspension movement means limited to chassis flex only. No type of ball pivots or hinge pins allowed. (But the cat is already out of the bag on this one!)

No viscous fluid dampers allowed. If dampers are used, they must be friction only.

No spring members other than chassis flexure. No metal or rubber spring members. (Again, where's that cat?)

Engine must maintain a fixed relationship to the rear wheels whenever the car is in motion. (This eliminates DeDion and other similar rear suspension arrangements.)

I'm currently designing my own car, and will restrict the design to whatever is decided by the RCTech group. While I don't particularly want to do a floating rear pod with shocks (like one finds on electric pan cars), it's certainly possible, and the result will handle better than the traditional gas pan car arrangement. But that will increase the cost and complication without making the racing any better.

P.S. We should probably also spec a relatively small carb restrictor.
We may, at some point, get to where we need to modify the existing written ROAR rules governing 2wd. No prob, been there and done that many times in the past, and given how long its probably been since its been done, we may be due. That said, I only know of three manufacturers of pan cars (outside of what we're getting ready to build) and all are basically the same car. I suspect our build will have advantages, but we're building a 2wd that conforms the most closely to the original rules, and hardly matters anyway since we're doing VERY WELL this weekend here in Dayton. Tom is running the pan (his second time driving it) and he's holding his own, so I'm not seeing "new pan" with any advantage over old style. I was not in favor of the floppy style front end, I thought before and still think now that it's just a little too close to suspension, but having so few manufacturers means we can't deny a car without killing a car company at the same time (at least as involves pan.)

I think the carb restrictor idea is a very good one. It worked well for us back in the days of superstock and will do so again.

I think, on your build, you could get away with needing no shock of any type. The G10 has really good flex, and maybe with a chassis stiffener to ensure not too much movement up/down, you can get your lateral flex and the same overall performance you're looking for.