R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2013, 02:09 PM
Granpa
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by howardcano
Thanks for the clarification. The rebuildable Novak motors do have infinitely adjustable timing (while the SS did not), so cranking it WAY up would do the trick. We just need to be careful about it!

Do you think the timing should still be restricted, as is done in VTA? It's pretty easy to check the free-running RPM, like what is done with the silver cans, as a limit. I'm concerned with the "more is better" mentality that might result in nuked ESCs and motors.
I'm in complete agreement with you. If the timing was restricted, 21.5 would be a better option. If the timing was pulled back a 21.5 would live nearly forever and there would be a wider range of motor options. Tech seems to be the problem, so the guys actually putting on the events seem to favor the unlimited timing route. Having never worked in tech, don't really know whether it is or isn't.

In any case, I'm not rebuilding any of my Silvercan cars into B/L cars yet. There's one B/L car in my stable fitted with a 21.5 on which the timing has been reduced 45+ degrees. In a straight line it's about as fast as a stock 'can, so will play with that for now.