R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - GT class--buggy-based on road!
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2013, 02:58 PM
SteveP
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by desotoracing
We believe that classes for GT should be:

Open
open motor but must be .28 or less
3500g weight minimum
150cc max tank
wing must not be higher than body roof (like .12 touring) to keep GT look
max width 310mm
rubber tires only (max tire width 45mm)

Sportsman/Spec
same as Open plus the following rules:
motor: any open motor w/6mm restrictor or any pull/roto start motor (as found in RTR cars)
no pro drivers (pro drivers are defined as any driver that has finished on the podium of any large open GT race or 100% sponsored drivers)
optional: spec tire (track operator decision)

We don't support the Formula REDS class proposed by Tony/Marcus because it excludes beginners from participating.
Of the two popular tires already in use in the GT class, one is 41mm and the other is 47mm. So, perhaps it's a typo, but the max (perhaps only in the rear) should be 47mm. I like some of the other ideas as well. I don't support open motors in any class. My personal preference would be for spec and perhaps a "modified" class in which a more powerful engine, but not ridiculously priced, can be used. I would support more specific limits on the construction of the engines, which naturally limits the cost and performance, without getting too stuck on a price (although a ceiling should exists there as well). I think we need to be smart about including as much detail as possible in the rules (while still making it easy to comply) to avoid the class killing mistakes that wide open rules have allowed in the past.