R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - GT class--buggy-based on road!
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2013, 07:58 AM
Yb2fast
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Joe Kimble
I find all this very promising. I read constructive opinion exchanges and it looks like GT8 racing is going to grow even faster than it already is. It looks like a challenge but life is full of challenges isn't it... I would like to express some of my opinions on both strategic and technical sides.
On a strategic side I believe that on mid-long term experienced racers should not run this class because tuning and setup experience-ability makes too much of a difference. But I also believe that experienced racers should be available to help out the new comers to make sure their car can function properly. For example a tutoring program could be elaborated where each new comer would have an experienced racer helping him out on race day. I know that it makes a huge difference and I have seen a lot of new comers welcoming that kind of help.
On a technical note, I noticed that there were big differences in caracteristics between cars in their "stock" form. Here are a few examples:

-gearing: the Kyosho and DM1 are geared very tall out of the box and the OFNA GT/V2 is geared very short.
The consequence of that is that with the same 5 port engine the IGT and DM1 will be slow out of corners but will be super fast in sweeper sections and straights, large tracks. The OFNA GTV2 will have mucho punch out of the corners but will be slower on sweeper sections and straights, advantaged in very short tracks.
- durability: the kyosho stock bevel gears don't last and OFNA DM1 and GTV2 will last.

A way of making things even between these different cars using same engine and tires would be to hand out or email a short document with recommendations.
For example advising kyosho owners to get the straight gears for the bulkheads as well as the 3 shoe flywheel and the OFNA GTV2 owners to use the OFNA DM1 clutchbell with the bigger pinions... It would also be cool to offer those new comers help from an experienced racer to assist installing the proper items in the car.
Joe. Correction.. You must be referring to the old style 2 speed that was originally in the IGT1 and IGT2... That tranny was a poor design. 2 yrs ago the race spec came out with a very improved EVOLVA based design shoe type that is very durable. I have upgraded all my 3 IGT's with ... And the gearing is now similar to the OFNA GTV2... The playing spec field is a lot closer in long chassis world. ...