R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Serpent Cobra GT-E
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2013, 03:53 PM
D.a.v.e
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Voltron989
What is your guys reason for running 6s? to Run 12-15minute races?
Dave, Before the season you contacted me about the track and the car.
you told me you were interested in a 6s setup because you wanted to be able to run longer 12-15 minute races or something. I told you that I did not believe it was possible to keep temps down to run such a long race regardless of system or setup. Now that you've ran all season is there any way possible to run a race twice as long as we do with a 6s setup? please let us know.

I've said from day one that the ESC and Lipos may benefit from higher voltage setups but the motor will always run hot because there is no way to spin a 1/8 motor at 40K rpms on a 120 degree track and expect it to run cool.

I don't know what involved with running the eagle tree. If all that it takes is making some connections for my lipos then go ahead and make them and we can try it out. if it requires me to start pulling my electronics all apart to bridge them through the data logger then im not interested because im simply to lazy for that shit

Personally I think my way is better and easier. ill pace behind you for how ever long and then we can check temps and what ever else u want to as soon as we pull them off. what does esc settings have to do with anything? all my power curves are linear(stock) only difference from stock is my brakes are at 100% my current limiter is at 70% and I have a few degrees of drag brake.
Only reason I mentioned RPM and gearing is because these are known to make the motor run hotter. I don't believe any esc settings would drastically effect temps besides boost which I don't run.
We have the same motor fans but I have a smaller rear fan I installed and I run a esc fan. Im personally not very interested in power usage, max rpm or whatever else the data logger collects. I haven't rebuilt my front or rear diffs in the year I have had the car what makes u think I would be interested in my freakin electronics data? only data im curious to know is what temps are our cars at if we run the same which we don't need a eagle tree for just a temp gun. im could careless about power usage as long as I have enough to finish a 7 minute race and have the cells at a good cut off range, im not interested in hauling an extra 3/4 lb weight of lipo that I cant use anyways
To answer your first question. Yes running at my pace & setup I could run a 12 min race no problem. I have done 15 min before at practice but not all were race pace. Thats why I'm curious how much more power your using over me for that extra 3+ sec a lap?

I suspect ESC settings may use more then you give it credit for. The breaks heat things up quick. You run yours at 100% and sometimes lock up your wheels, until last week I had mine at 40% and no drag break. I also had the torque dialed way down (until Bill messed with it) and I run a 19 tooth pinion. I noticed after taking my external BEC out that my ESC temps have gone up 10 degrees or so (I still don't have a fan on it). I suspect if I went to a more aggressive setup (and could drive as well as you) our power usage would be more in line?

I also wonder how much our different tire diameters play into this. Running the smaller GRP's vs the larger Sweeps I've been swapping between this season? If I cared enough I suppose one could figure that out with one of those online calculators It wouldn't surprise me if the smaller tires required a tooth bigger pinion?

Bottom line until I become a better driver I don't really have to worry about all this theory stuff that you fast guys do for an extra 1/10 of a second But I would like to know if 6 cells is really any better or if its just theory? Sounds like I need to suck up the cost of a motor and find out for myself.