R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - New VTA Body from PROTOform: Rise of the Thunder Chicken
Old 09-18-2013, 02:15 PM
ASM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by daleepp
There's no real right or wrong answer to your question. It depends on "when" and "where" you were back in the day.

At the time that the then-new Trans-Am Firebirds were the rage I drove a 1969 396 Nova SS w/L78 option. The carguys in my town called the Firebird T/A's "Thunderchickens" - simple as that - and it's always stuck in my mind. I never did see a Thunderbird at a street race back then. (boy....do I miss those days!! - lol)

I find it strange that any one would even care to talk about the Thunderbird at ali....much less give it a dignified nick-name. If I were to try to give the average T-Bird a nick name, it would be more like "Dodo Bird" or "Slush Bucket".... or something like that.

The only truly cool T-Birds were built in 1955-57. After that it was all down hill. The "cool meter" was pretty much pegged at zero by the time 1967 rolled around. The T-Bird was a favorite of the over 50 crowd - not the hotrod crowd. You know..... the guys with yellow pants and turquoise polo shirts - showing off their "new wheels" at the country club.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Thunderbird

Bill Elliott's record setting 1987 NASCAR Thunderbird was about the only noteworthy and/or cool T-Bird since 1957.

My 2 cents - for whatever it's worth.

Dale Epp - Protoform
"World's Fastest Stock Car - 212.809 mph".