R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Turn marshaling, do's & don't?
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2004, 08:34 PM
Red Z
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

My $.02:

Drivers get "into" their race and thus some can lose their cool, it doesn't excuse it but it happens. This can cause other drivers and marshals to get distracted. I've seen marshals miss cars in front of them (within 10 feet) cuz drivers are screaming at them. That is usually when someone's car gets flattened by a marshal who meant well and was only trying to do their job. Yelling at a marshal to "motivate" them is usually counterproductive.

Personally I've had to run almost 100' to get someone's car because marshals left the track too soon or were not paying attention. I always carefully pick my time to sprint and make my time on the track as minimal as possible. If a driver gets on throttle when upside down or yells at me I hold my hands up in the "I give up" sign and make them wait before I touch their car. Someone said "To finish first, you must first finish". That is very true. Sometimes our local RD likes to say "Slower is faster" regarding forcing a pass or a line.

As a rule of thumb I drive like there are no marshals out there and I marshal like I would want my car to be marshalled.