Thread: Mugen MTX-2
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2002, 05:22 AM
Michael_T
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default Re: setup ?

Originally posted by mugen21
New to onroad and to the board, I went through and read the entire forum and gained alot of useful info and then forgot it by time I got done reading everything. Anyways I raced my MTX2 for the first time last weekend and I need some setup help. I run at a parking lot race on rubber tires and the car has some problems. I played with tires most of the day and got it where it felt ok, but I know it needs some attention to the overall setup. Here is where I have it now.
Front
Camber -1.5
toe out 1degree
shock oil 600 stock pistons
2nd hole from top
blue springs
ride height 5mm
caster big shim towards rear
downstop 4mm
diff 50,000

Rear
Camber 1.5
toe in 4 degrees
shock oil 600
top hole on tower
tried blue springs, purple springs and assc. green springs (real soft)
ride height 6mm
downstop 8mm (I think)
diff 30,000

the problem I am having is the car is real loose in the back, even on a real tight turn If I am going real slow it will try to swing the rear around. I know the car is off a little I need to get a Hudy because it has more oversteer to the right then it does to the left. I just wanted to know If anyone has a rubber tire setup that will keep the rear from trying to sway ends. Some of the setup is from another guy I race with and I went with his reccomendations as far as the diffs go, I race 1/8 scale offroad and one way I can get rid of a loose rear is drop down the oil in the rear diff or even put a light grease in it. I was curious If I went to 10,000 or even 5k or 3k in the rear If that would help. Like I said I am new to onroad and I am pretty lost when It comes to the suspension. On a good note I did qualify 4th and had 3rd locked up in the main till the front upright (the same one I cracked earlier in the day) popped out of the pivot balls after a slight brush with the boards.... ok maybe it wasn't a slight brush. Sorry for such a long post I really had fun with the car and just want to try and get it setup a little better before I run again. TIA Michael.
What tyres do most guys run on the track, and try them. It could be just you need to drop down to softer tyres in the rear. Also 4 degree toe is too much - this indicates that you need a softer rear setup. There is a fine line when toe works and too much toe doesn't resulting in slip. Is the 1.5degree camber measured on a setup board (eg Hudy - elevated camber) or is it driving camber? If it is 1.5 elevated, add another degree or two - keep adding camber until your rear tyre wear is even or slightly conned inside.

If all this fails, true a stiffer front spring or harder front tyres, it could be your front end having too much grip and swinging the backend around.

Keep the diff's as your last resort, I run One-way front and 50k rear on all tracks and it handles well.