R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - SLAPMASTER - 1/12th MS2.2
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2004, 11:48 PM
Slapmaster6000
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default So it not just me?

You guys are so nice! When this thing started out last winter, I wanted a car that would be unique, handle well, and just take advantage of some ideas that I had. For those that know me, I am a bit of a handling freak. It needs to handle, or I am pissed. I could win a race, but if it still didn't handle, I am pissed. I could loose a great race by many positions, but if it handled well and I did my best, then I am happy. When I started testing and developing this car last Jan, my first attempt caught me off guard with how fast it cornered. And I like steering in my 12th scale cars. This thing went up to the corner and around it without slowing down! That car didn't last long as I had a bad design for the front body post area. The next revision didn't seem to be as fast through the corners as the first, but it was still fairly quick. That design got scrapped for yet another slightly simpler to mold chassis, the 2.1. That car had the steering back of the first one and it was easier to build. I was not happy with the release film appearance on the top of the chassis and had no intentions of selling them. Then Sean Maybell said that he really wanted to drive one of my cars for Regionals last March. So I scrambled and put a car together for him and the bomb was dropped! He let all of his buddies drive it and they all wanted one. Since then, I have made male and female molds that produce a nice finish top and bottom on the chassis, it gets ride of all of the extra resin the vaccuum couldn't, and makes just a damn cool looking chassis. Like Allan and Dom said: it goes around a corner fast and smoothes out the bumps in the process. Tonight I experimented with some damper tube quick change stand offs. Before anyone asks, "no, I will not make anymore!" I could change the out board altitude of the damper tubes with just a small body clip. I ran them up, down, and then back up to try to deside of there is anything to elevating the tubes at the outter sides. The jury is still out, but I did turn some of the most consistant fast laps with them up. But it might have felt like the car could have had more turn in with them down. I will figure it out soon and keep eveyone posted of the results. Allan was funny running the car tonight after his broke. I just wanted to test the damper tubes and after a couple minutes, I had my answer. I saw Allan standing there and said: wanna drive? He wouldn't go fast at first. I said that it was not the way to drive it and told him to get going. Well.... I think that he like it! I am still waiting for some vendors to get parts to me, so we can just drool a little longer.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	p1010084.jpg
Views:	1003
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	55387