R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2004, 07:29 PM
AMGRacer
Tech Elite

Default Re: R40 for a first nitro car?

Originally posted by badKarma
Does anyone think that an R40 is suitable for a first nitro car? I have electric car building experiance but am looking for a first race car for this summer. I really dont want to get an RTR since i cant build it, and i enjoy building. What do yall think? Is it too complex due to the belt drives and clutch? Or should I just get a TC3? Get back at me.
Thats a hard call depends on your skill levels really. Let me just tell you that tuning the engine is challenge one and you will spend some time there. Then tuning the clutch. Once you got that right, it is not hard just takes time and patience, you will be able to run any nitro car.

Theoretically a NTC3 is easier with a shoe clutch so that a pro for it. However I personally think the centax is not hard, you just need to be precice and patient.

As for a 1st nitro car, some people say get a RTR or a "play" car since they are "easier". I never found that myself I had way more trouble with my 1st junk car than my "pro" cars have ever given me. I say get the R40 it is simple to build and wont be any harder to tune or setup than any other nitro car out there at least initially.