R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Ask Paul Lemieux, RC America/MOTIV/Gravity RC
Old 09-02-2013, 10:31 AM
chasingthepack
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Paul L
Hi. First i want to say that it is worth looking at but if you look threw all the major things that could cause it and it still sits a bit off, I wouldn't worry about it. I rarely race a car that is perfectly flat. allowable tolerance for me is .2mm's. Here are some things that i would check, no real order of importance here.

First check the balance to make sure that the chassis is balanced left and right.

Second i would crack the shock towers loose and be aware of the effects that torquing all 4 screws "same direction" could have (I could easily make the shock tower sit .2mms off level if i don"t tighten it properly), if you want to go crazy with this you could set the chassis on the table and measure with the back of your calipers pit board to each ear of the tower, but again I wouldnt go to crazy.

Third i would make sure your shocks have fairly euqal drag on the seal, if a seal has a lot more drag it could keep the car down .1 or .2mms easily after squatting it on the board. this is even more common with the softer spring set ups.

Possibly replace all your suspension mount screws (long ones), and check for slight bend in the sus mount also.

Lastly I would loosen up all the screws and re set all the bulkheads and not over tighten anything and check again.

All this being said, your main concern is that the tweak and cross weights is proper. I would rather race a car which that is proper and sits .4mms low on one side than race a car that is perfect flat but tweaked.

Hope this helps. Thanks!
thanks Paul,i wasnt to bothered with it just curious to know if there was a fix,thanks for your time,Rich