R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Are 1/8 electric not reliable?
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2013, 01:03 PM
blade329
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dwgcooks
I was watching the Neobuggy races on Youtube and noticed a lot of the 1/8 electric cars were stopping dead. These are the top guys at this race and it was a surprise to me to see so many failures.

Tebo was racing in one semi with around 10 drivers and had something go wrong with his car early in the race. The camera followed the car into the pits and his pit guy must have fixed it quickly. Battery change? who knows. It was only around 3 minutes into a 10 minute semi.

So Tebo "breaks" 3 minutes in and gets repaired for at least a minute and goes from dead last to finishing fifth in a 10 minute race. The reason he did so well was because a lot of the other cars were also having reliability issues.

One dead car was picked up by a crew member the side of the body pulled up and she reached in a did something, not sure what. Then she threw the car on the track and off it goes like nothing happened. What did she do in there to fix the car so quickly? Is there a reset button?
E-buggies are no different than any other car. Push them to the limit and they will break. You can't judge reliability on one race with pro drivers.

Depending on the electronics, battery and how well you take care of them, they can be very reliable. Trust me, if my 8th scale cars were not, I would have been done with this class years ago.

Originally Posted by XXXDad
Its the On/Off or the stupid Deans... even some Pro still use outdated stuff. If you can cut off the on/off switch and solder the wires together, then do it!
Just like in Nitro the On/Off is a week link, eliminate it.
Also Deans come apart the New New is 5mm Bullets.Direct to the ESC. Try it!!
+1. I had problems with Deans as well. Switched to EC5 and problems gone forever.