R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Who charging 20+ amps or more now??
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2013, 05:49 AM
bvoltz
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fq06
No flaming from me but if we assume a set number of cycles till the packs dead...

Didn't get the first step of else category, set to storage... but run the pack down?

If your going to run the pack down instead of storage charging a pack that didn't get used at the end of the day... you still discharged it and used up one cycle.
If you use it and leave it flat... that from many sources is not good for a pack over more than a few days. So you charge it back up to storage.
You just used 1/2 more cycle than taking to storage didn't you?

There are soooo many variables in measuring what's good for a pack and what's not, not sure anyone can really say if it was bad or not. Danny @ SMC (and others I'm sure) has run repeated control tests on packs and I think that's the only real way to get an idea. Roughly the same temps, discharge to a set voltage at a set discharge rate, charge to a set rate. How many cycles?
Now you have your control number.
Now repeat with another pack as close to the same as you can find out of the batch and charge it up to the same voltage and cycle it the same amount of times for that day as your control test and leave it flat for the night.
Now how many cycles did you lose?

But to compare a thunder power (or whatever) that you used in the winter to a nanotech (or whatever) in the summer with a gang of other variables thrown in... not sure how we can really say. I know I wouldn't put the effort into logging all of the data and certainly wouldn't buy two packs to burn through to get an answer with a controlled system of measuring. Not to mention I want to drive... not test packs
I'm not sure I'm following you...

If you are at the track and running, you charge then run the pack.... If you are done for the day after your last run, you take the battery down to storage mode, if you not going to use it for a week or more. If you are going to use the next day, then do nothing after your 6 min run, just put it up. Most the time after a 6 min run, the storage mode will only take a little more out the battery, another option is to run it 7 mins then just put it up... (this will make the voltage also most the same level as storage mode...)

Did that clear it up?

A number of people are saying here to discharge below the 7.6 area of storage mode, this is not good for Lipos. If you choose to use the discharge method that is your call. What I'm saying is that it will hurt your lipos, and this comes directly from what we all know as an RC god with many hours of testing these different methods.... But in the end it is your call, it is your lipo and your money...