R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Spec 1/8 Pan Car .21 no frill's racing
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2013, 07:46 AM
Grenade10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by howardcano
Thanks for the observations, guys. All the pushrods I've seen are hollow for the full length (which I believe is necessary for oil distribution in most engines). Using threaded rod all the way through eliminates any need for forming or machining threads on the axle. The only machining necessary can be done with a Dremel cutoff wheel: remove the ball ends, and add a flat for the set screw on the collar that supports the inner diff plate.

The 6-32 rod was fine the last time I did this, but then again, it wasn't for a 1/8 scale car. Using the 3/8" axle permits use of a larger threaded rod, but then I can't use the 8x12mm bearings between wheel and axle (which I though was a really slick idea).
Something that I have used has been a long allen screw. you can get them over 2" long, they are better steel than threaded rod, and with the hex drive, looks like they were made for the job. Many thread options as well.

Also, If needed, I have 3 or 4 new in the bag Serpent ball diff's from running 2wd drive suspension class back in the day.

Howard, I still have the car and all the parts as well ....... Some old school Green / White Bodies .......