R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/8 Offroad Buggy
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2004, 06:14 PM
slrguy
Tech Adept

Originally posted by WATTSON
how good is the sportwerks pro for raceing i was offer one for an unreal deal is this something to buy to keep saving for a mbx-5 or 777 sp1
The Mayhem is a very competent buggy. I own 2 of these with RB engines and they are very competive. I've already beat both the Kyosho 777 and the MBX Prospec driven by experienced drivers on 2 different tracks. It's all a matter of chassis setup and driving experience. The Mayhem is overlooked as a good sportsman buggy in my opinion. Sportwerks has tons of options and upgrades for this buggy. Although, out of the box, the Mayhem has a good chassis setup for most tracks, for a short track with lots of tight turns and no big jumps, you'll want to shorten the wheelbase, change the diff oil to 3,5,.5, change to lighter springs (option part), move the upper front A arms back by moving the caster shims to the front of the arm and change to lighter anti-roll bars (option part). For a larger, more open track with large jumps, try the standard wheelbase, regular stock springs and 40 wt shock oil (30 wt is stock).
The Mayhem represents really good bang for the buck. 3 versions are available and all are prebuilt: the RTR version with JR Xs3i radio and .26 engine, the PRO version with .21 7 port engine and the PRO version without radio or engine. All are preassembled.
For those with their own radio and engine, the pro version without either is a really good deal at around $369 which is way under the MBX5 or the Kyosho 777. If you need the engine, it's only $100 more and includes the pipe. That engine is no slouch either, it really screams.
The RTR version is winner also. It REALLY puts out the power!