R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - CRC 1/10 Pan Car
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2013, 01:21 PM
howardcano
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cancun Tom
Do you have any experience with the CRC GEN X 10 LE on concrete?

I am trying to stop a tendency for the car to swap ends unexpectedly. At the test the chassis was set up as follows: It had white rears, pink fronts, by Jaco, new but trued by me on my machine. Green center-shock spring w/ kit 30wt. oil, progressive white front springs, red progressive side springs w/ damper-tubes 30K lube. The rears were dressed w/ 90 Coppertone. Fronts clean but no dressing. Ride height is 6mm on main chassis and 7mm on the rear pod. Droop is about 1mm. Tweak is neutral. Camber and toe = 0. Caster is per kit. I'm using a 1S 5800mAh Zippy battery mounted all the way back in the center. Spur= 88, pinion= 48, and a HobbyWing EZ Run 35A-SL ESC / 13t 3000 KV motor combo.
The track was dust free because of the monsoon rain storms we've been having the last few days. Track temp was approx. 90 F. Here is a short GoPro video up to you tube of Sunday's test. Click http://youtu.be/Eo3oMpGpPu0 to view it. Any Suggestions???
Thanks in advance.
Hi Tom,

It looks like you are getting close!

Pink fronts are too soft. Try something harder. I'd start with pink rears (the whites will probably wear too fast) and lilac fronts, then go one step softer on the front if necessary. I usually run at least one step harder compound on the front versus the rear on asphalt. Using a harder front tire, and doping the fronts, will keep the handling more consistent as the dope wears off and the tires get dirty. Doping just the rears will lead to oversteer after a few laps (as you are experiencing).

Despite what it looks like, the track is definitely dusty. Your first spin happened after you ran onto the white portion of the concrete, where it was probably worse than on the line.

Since you are running oval, don't be afraid to run the car with some cross-weight (tweak). Setting the tweak screws so there is some extra force on the inside rear tire will promote understeer and help keep the inside tire from losing traction (a.k.a. "diffing out") when accelerating out of a corner. This adjustment is quick and (best of all!) free, so try it first to get a feel of how it affects the car. Put a couple of small holes in the body so you can make the adjustment without removing it.

After getting the car as good as you can, it may still be necessary to run less than 100% throttle to make it drivable.

Last edited by howardcano; 08-14-2013 at 01:35 PM.