R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Modern 4WD Touring Car Top Speeds? Mod vs Stock w/Turbo?
Old 08-08-2013, 05:30 PM
drdanke
Tech Initiate

Default Modern 4WD Touring Car Top Speeds? Mod vs Stock w/Turbo?

I'm not talking about doing top speed runs all day, but with a normal racing setup, if you let er rip for a couple of seconds until it hits top speed, how fast are we talking when properly geared for normal track driving? (in MPH)

Open Modified 3.5/4.5 motor?

Pro Stock 10.5 with turbo?

Super Stock 13.5 with turbo?

Stock 17.5 with turbo?

I'm just kind of trying to gauge the general driving WOW factor between a low-turn open Modified setup, vs a more economical Super Stock setup with a Turbo timing enabeled ESC. I don't race, but I'm trying to choose the best "bang-for-buck" power setup.

Does a 10.5 turn stock motor with turbo enabled, still have that "wow this thing is fast" feeling?

Or, is a low turn modified setup, so crazy fast that the power is relatively unusable at lower speeds, where most driving is?

Or, is a low turn modified setup, so much faster and much more fun to drive, that it's worth the extra money for a high end 100+ amp ESC?

I have driven offroad RC's for many many years, but have never even seen someone drive a modern touring car, to gauge what kind of speeds they get. Any help would be appreciated.

I just don't know if touring cars normally top out at 40 mph, or 80? Thanks!