R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Help me pick a F1 chasis please !
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2013, 12:21 AM
InspGadgt
Tech Champion

The plastics on the SP-1 are a bit...flexy... which make the front end easy to break. So far the main issues I've had is I pulled the pillow ball through the steering knuckle once, and the short steering link from the servo to the bell crank keeps popping off. I just replaced the ball cups on the short link with some spare AE ones I had that feel really tight to snap on but free once they are on. I'm hoping these hold better. As for the knuckle I just made sure to stock up on spares. SP has said they have new plastics coming out that are stiffer so that should resolve the issues there. SP made a number of small mistakes with the car that add up to something many people are skeptical of...but out of the box it is one of the most, if not the most, versatile designs out there...and it handles very well. The pillow ball suspension makes it much easier to adjust front caster and camber than other designs out there and the adjustable wheel track makes it so you can run the car in 3 different widths stock out of the box (modification of the caster mount is needed to run the narrowest config). The practice days I was able to put my SP-1 on the track was some of the most fun I've ever had driving a F1 car and I left the stand with a smile on my face. The first race day it saw was plagued with the steering link that kept popping off and was frustrating. I think I have that fixed now and look forward to the next time it races...hopefully we'll have enough drivers this weekend to run it.

I would say to anyone considering the SP-1...it is a good car with a lot going for it...but I would wait for the new plastics to come out and see what happens then.

Last edited by InspGadgt; 08-07-2013 at 02:01 AM.