R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Serpent Cobra GT
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013, 05:56 AM
TerribleTy
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by T-Hawk
I hear ya, open motor AND open tire Only sponsored drivers can afford it. Blowing through a set of tires in 10 min??? It's making 1/8 Open not seem so bad But the TZGP will play the game with Open motors, but Spec Tires.

Ryan N
I think a lot of the negativity towards a motor limit comes from locations that are running 8th scale as well. Locally here in Utah GT8 is the biggest fastest class and also has the least drama. Basically all we care about is it weighs 3500 Grams and has a .21 to .28 in it. It's funny to see drivers like Gus and myself are actually running some of the cheapest motors on the track due to buy motors specifically for TZGP. The newer guys are showing up with Romas to Bonitos. We still take 1 and 2 most of the time and that comes down to driver. Motor does make a difference however it is a great balance due to the weight of the car. You can Run 21 and get top end with run time or you can go towards the 28 and get loads or power with shorter run time. Either way you gain and loose something based on a choice you make. I love it, open is the way to go. At 3500 Grams it doesn't make that big of a difference and saves us tearing down motors to spec. It also keeps the "cheap" aspect as you don't have to buy a new motor based on the dollar amount assigned.

Running spec tire I am okay with, if a company wants to go out of their way to put on an event or support an event they should have the right to spec their tires. Its how that company makes the race worth their investment. Drivers trying their tires creates opportunities for new customers.