R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Opinion: Bigger Spur or Bigger Pinion Gear
Old 07-31-2013, 06:59 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
Also, smaller gears accelerate and decelerate faster too, giving much better Performance corner to corner and better braking... I've seen lots of guys running these big pinions cooking their motors in 17.5t blinky at 4.1fdr while I was running 3.65fdr with a heavier tub tc4 and getting no heat at all(less than 120°) after six Minutes... Rotational mass is not all that counts, but whether the mass is from the Center of rotation is as important...
I also think if you use 64p gears, you'll be forced to run bigger pinions to get durability versus running 48p, but whatever was thought to be gain in efficiency by using smaller tooth gears is lost by having to use a bigger 64p pinion than 48p pinion, and still ending up chewing these 64p gears twice as fast... The 64p gears lost their efficiency a long time before chewing each other anyway resulting in One blown motor after the next, while I'm still using the same five year old 48p spur gear.... It was really a perfect way to make people buy more spur gears , more pinions, and more motors/higher capacity batteries... I'm waiting for the 128p gears to come out....lol...
Wow, soooo much incorrect information in this post!

You talk about big pinions at 4.1 FDR, but if you were running 3.65 FDR (keeping the same spur), your pinion would have to be bigger to achieve that lower FDR.

And gearing largely depends on what motor you're running and track size. There is no magic FDR number. Even on a large track, I have ran 4.0-4.2 on my old Team Powers 17.5. Its more of an RPM motor. On the same track and layout, I now run 3.6 FDR on my eXpress Killshot torque motor. Temps are all fine with both setups.

And I've never heard of anyone blowing a motor just because they ran 64P gears instead of 48P gears.