R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team C 1/8 GT car
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013, 02:57 PM
MantisWorx
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)
Default Transmission

The transmission is pretty straight forward. I noticed another change from the factory in that the spacing tolerances are tighter. I only had to add one shim but on my car i have three and the last car i built also needed three, so someone is listening!
One thing i like to do is mark four sides of the adjustment screw so you always know where you are at when tightening or loosening the shift points. I have also found that it is just quicker and easier to just pull the tranny out and do it instead of try to see inside that little hole to trya nd adjust!

on the second gear side i install a 8x11x.2mm shim in between the bearing and the bell. Normally this part of the assemblyy is loose and that causes premature wear on second gear and it will lead to failure, since i started shimming i have yet to strip a gear!

When building your kit i suggest getting red blue and green loctite. the green loctite works well on plastic as it is a penetrating solution but on metal its damn near impossible to get off with out heat so i dont suggest using it on the center outdrives since your always messing with shift points. use the green on the gears though, red on the outdrives.

I use KYOSHO ball dif grease on the one-way shaft, i feel it is the best available and a bottle will last you for years! put a small amount around the end of the transmission shaft and "twist" the one-way assembly down, this evenly distributes the grease.