R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Rubber tire "ring of death"
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2004, 05:16 PM
AMGRacer
Tech Elite

Originally posted by fraz
When I ran rubber tires in nitro sedan I usually ran 1 degree of negative camber and no more than 1.5. The other two thing you want to look at are:

a) front toe - the more you have, the quicker the insides of the tires will wear in the front.

b) camber gain - depending on your camber link length and angle you can adjust the camber gain. Camber gain is how much your camber increases throughout the suspension compression. If you have a lot of camber gain with a static 2 degrees of negative camber, that could explain the wear.

The other thing to keep in mind is that some surfaces are just plain abrasive and chew up tires. Unsealed asphalt and roughed concrete come to mind). Not much you can do on these surfaces besides looking for a tire manufacturer with good grip and better wear.
I found I had 2 degrees front and 2.5 degree rear camber which I have reduced. Also I found that I had a ton of front toe out (I had not checked it for a long time). I do have a lot of camber gain in the rear as well which I have reduced.