R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - R10 Capacitors
Thread: R10 Capacitors
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2013, 06:32 AM
Dave H
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by wreckya
Ok I know there different but that doesn't answer my question, Novak says its used for exactly what were talking about which is if the servo drops the voltage this is there to catch it eliminating glitches. Check it out on there website. And the servo is plugged into the receiver hence that's why the glitch buster does. When savox first came out with there high voltage servos they actually had a wire that came out of the servo and plugged into the receiver just like the novak GB does. Guess I will call Orion and novak on Monday. The reviews on a main say that's how the guys are using them, by plugging them into the receiver.
Two different functions. Yes you are right about the use of a glitch buster or stutter stopper capacitor plugged into the receiver, to help stabilize the voltage of the BEC circuit. The BEC circuit is a separate part of the system, just powers the receiver and servo(s), not the motor.

A power input capacitor provides similar benefits to the main power section of the controller driving the motor. A brushless controller is performing a lot of switching for both phase switching of the motor and throttle control. This switching generates a lot of frequency noise (aka ripple). This part of the system is at a much higher overall power level then the BEC circuit, so the noise is at a considerable power level. The power cap helps reduce the noise, which is very beneficial to the temps and reliability of the controller.

The capacitance is a fundamental part of the design, the only reason it is not designed in the controller is the size, to allow for more installation flexibility. Tekin in particular has discussed this design tradeoff for the very compact RS series on this site.

This can not be achieved by using a capacitor on the receiver, on a different section of the system. But certainly check with the manufacturers, never a bad idea. Report back your findings if you like.