R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/10 F1 racing OZ style
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2013, 12:44 AM
RCformula1
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by defcone
The information which he presented also does not support "From the results of the above I believe that running control rubber tyres for F1 does not disadvantage a particular chassis." as there were no results presented to support such a statement.
The "results" referred to was the table immediately above that sentence showing different car widths, etc.

However, let me retract that statement and let's take a step back and clearly articulate the issue at hand.

This discussion started with the following comment:

Originally Posted by ShadowAU
I do hope that the pseudo "excluding" of 200mm cars at bigger events doesn't gain momentum. The Ride R1 tyre may be convenient for event organisers who seem to think a control tyre is needed but it does effectively rule out anyone that might want to run a 200mm car, without modifications. Given that the Australian rule set allows 200mm cars it does seem unusual to me that, people can consider making event rules that prevent their actual competing somewhere. The AOC is a prime example, where it appears only 2 different tyres were considered, both unavailable for 200mm cars unless modified to 180mm or 190mm.
I read the above - and correct me if I have picked up your intent incorrectly - as a concern that some cars might not be able to compete at an event where control tyres are specified. In particular the concern was that 200mm cars could not use the control tyres specified. The example given was the AOC event and the control tyres commented on were Ride R1.

I then gathered data and provided it in a table showing each brand of chassis, the width of that chassis and whether F104 tyres will fit on that chassis. I also specified the 10 different chassis running at AOC to which Ride R1 tyres had been successfully fitted.

So my conclusions from facts gathered are:-

1. At AOC the Ride R1 control tyres were able to be fitted to all 10 chassis that competed (a number of which had 200mm front ends).

2. Of the Chassis listed on the table that weren't at AOC: Tamiya TRF101 (should fit - will test), 3Racing F113 (fits with small mods - will post an article in due course - photo attached), 3Racing F109 (only if use F104 front end - discontinued chassis), WRC F-180 (fits), WRC F-200 (unknown, not imported to Aus and no reply to enquiries).

3. The assertion that there is ' "excluding" of 200mm cars at bigger events' by specifying control tyres is therefore not correct. Most, if not all, 200mm cars should be able to use the Ride R1 tyre.

Therefore if event organisers choose to specify control rubber tyres then RC Formula1 is happy to work with them on choosing a suitable tyre for the conditions.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010046 - Copy.JPG
Views:	317
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	1089027