R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/10 F1 racing OZ style
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2013, 10:50 PM
stephenianjames
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I also ran last weekend at the AOC event, with my Yokomo F1 with wide front end.

With the control Ride R1 F104 tyres, the front end was approx 205mm and the rear near enough to 190mm. Having the option to build the car narrow or wide, I went wide with the rationale that my biggest issue with F1's in the past has been getting rear traction, and that a narrower rear would equate to better rear grip. I did worry that a difference in the F/R track widths might adversely effect handling but decided to give it a go regardless, as I had nothing to lose and no delusions of finishing anywhere near the podium place-getters.

In the early qualifying and race heats I struggled with rear grip, but it was more a result of not scrubbing in the tyres at all and not applying the traction compound properly. By the last race (too little too late) I had the car pretty well sorted and the wide front/narrow rear configuration did seem to be pretty quick. I'm not a skilled driver even at the best times, however I was lapping only 0.5 secs or so slower than the fastest guys, which for me is an achievement. Not having raced for 18 months, and prior to that another 2 years or so was also a factor but I felt that with the traction compound, the Ride R1 tyres were great on carpet and the car setup with wide front/narrow rear was pretty darn good too.

I personally have no issue with control tyres being specified for any chassis for any surface...yes there may be more performance for a particular chassis to be gained by a different tyre, but it levels the playing field surely, and I don't believe my wide fronted car was at a disadvantage to other narrow fronted cars by having to race on tyres specifically made for narrow fronted cars.

I don't have any scientific data to back this up...purely anecdotal.

Cheers,

Steve