R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/10 F1 racing OZ style
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013, 10:41 PM
ShadowAu
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCformula1
Useful learning from last weekends Asian On road Championship in Melbourne on CRC (Ozite) carpet with Ride R1 control tyres:

Once we figured out the best use of the traction compound the Ride R1's offered excellent grip on the CRC carpet.

The Ride R1's showed no issues with coming unglued on CRC carpet (this is a common issue on asphalt).

Tyre wear was almost non-existent.

The following cars entered and ran the Ride R1 tyres:

6 x Tamiya F104v2
5 x Yokomo YRF001
2 x Tamiya F104 X1
2 x Tamiya F104W GP (200mm front - 180mm rear and came 3rd and 4th)
1 x VBC Flash04
1 x Hiro Factory
1 x Top Rebel R-F01
1 x 3Racing FGX
1 x Speed Passion SP-1
1 x Tamiya F104 Pro
---
21 total

There were no 3Racing F113's at AOC but Will Haines is currently fitting Ride R1's to his and plans on running it this Sunday at TFTR (weather permitting).

From the results of the above I believe that running control rubber tyres for F1 does not disadvantage a particular chassis. But happy to discuss further if needed.

Cheers

Dave
My partner, who is a scientist and published researcher, was quick to point out that such a declaration doesn't pass basic scientific scrutiny - with such a small sample size, which is heavily biased towards cars < 200mm, taken at one event, the ONLY thing you can conclusively say is that on CRC (Ozite) carpet, running a control tyre was not a disadvantage to any particular chassis, at THAT event.

You cannot declare that it would not, or could not, be a problem elsewhere.

Based on my observations of the last club meeting I attended, I could just as easily declare that on painted concrete surfaces, a standard 200mm car running the R1 rim and tyre combo with no other modifications(200mm front, 180mm rear), is approximately 2 laps slower over 6 minutes than a 200mm car using correct F103 rims and tyres, but its no more valid a statement, and certainly not grounds to formulate a National rules set.

IMO opinion it is a mistake to use this one event as a blanket example for all to follow. I also a feel its hypocritical for people to be banging on about the virtues of "scale appearance" etc and then as soon as something like this comes along, simply revert to the "force them to be all the same" routine. I fully realise that I am probably putting myself on the outer by saying so.