R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - HPI Cup Racer 1M
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013, 02:39 PM
eR1c
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Any suggestions on an inexpensive set of tires and wheels for the cup racer? Going to be run mainly on ashphalt... Looking for something in a medium compund.

I have numerous 1/10th touring car tires/wheels but they all are a little large for the cup racer. Thanks
If running on an asphalt track that is perfectly smooth and made for RC racing then a great combo is the MX60 w/ Medium or Hard slick tire. YOu can get the MX60 wheels for as low as $2.99 for 2, -I think the white 8-spokes are the least expensive ...and the H compound slicks are $9.99. So your looking at about $26 for a complete set.

If your running on an asphalt parking lot that is not perfectly smooth and not racing ...just driving around and having fun. Then I'd recommend a tire with a bit of tread to deal w/ the imperfections of the surface. YOu can also run a 1/10th (find the smallest diameter wheel + tire combo you can) ..running 1/10th on parking lot just for practicing is good because it will give you an extra bit of height to clear the small rocks, leaves and other debris on the parking lot surface.

Here is what I typically do:
Racing on track, -MX60 wheels w/ MX60 M or H compound tires (H for warm summer, M for cooler temperatures). Also use liquid tire grip (I think it's called Paragon or something like that)

For practicing/just having fun in the parking lot I run this 4 pack of assosciated tires They are only $10.99 for 4. The rubber wears kind of soft and provides nice grip for practice.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCZD2&P=7

I pair these tires with these rims (or similar),
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAWL2&P=7

the diameter is only about 6mm or so larger than running the MX's ..it does raise your center of gravity a tad, but for parking lot fun it isn't noticeable. -For racing you won't want to run these as you'll want to be as low and wide as possible for better cornering. The difference is significant for racing, but hardly noticeable for parking lot fun.

Note, the MX wheels will not work with the Associated tires...

hope that helps. (I am sure everyone has their own system)