R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Race World Hawaii - Electric On Road
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013, 04:04 PM
9six7nine2bOI
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
My WGT is a BMI. My 1/12th used to be a BMI as well but they haven't had a new car come out in awhile so I switched to CRC. It is a great car...much better than the driver To be honest though all the current 1/12th scale cars are top notch so whichever one has the options you want/like will be a good one. I do have a spare WGT and 1/12th if you want to try one. The WGT is the BMI I had before my current one. The 1/12th is the previous CRC chassis. The WGT is a lot closer to being runable...it could use new front bearings but they are runable. The 1/12th needs a lower rear pod plate. Both need tires. I do have a set of pretty worn out WGT tires that will work but they are a bit chewed up and trued down to carpet size so they won't last more than a race day I don't think.

As for the differences between the classes...both use the same motor and battery so the WGT being a bigger car will be slower. 1/12th runs prototype style bodies (GTP, LMP cars) so they have better down force. WGT runs front engine, rear wheel drive, GT car bodies. As for tires 1/12th you can use any tire compounds you like and they tend to be a little less expensive than WGT tires. WGT runs a spec compound (lilac) that you can get from Jaco, BSR, or CRC. Lilac is a pretty hard compound so tire wear is usually better in WGT than in 1/12th but because you don't have a choice of compounds and the bodies have less down force they tend to be a little trickier to get a good setup working. That said it also takes away having to hunt for the right compounds like we do in 1/12th. Once you do get the WGT to handle well it is easier to drive than the 1/12th due to its larger size and lower speeds.

1/12th is a more established class at the track with more drivers, when they show up...WGT we only have 3 of us for now so it remains to be seen if the class will prosper or fail.

So that's pretty much the best info I can give you to help you make a choice. Let me know if you have more questions.
sweet it would be niice to take a try at either car as long as its setup by the pan car master but it looks like you guys will be racing wgt next race.
im leaning more towards getting 1/12th but im afraid wgt may take off while 12th scale turnout remains the same.