R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Indoor Champs vs. Snowbirds
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2004, 07:12 PM
ground-round
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (96%+)
Default Indoor Champs vs. Snowbirds

I've now been fortunate enough to attend both of these races. All week I couldn't help but think of the differences in what has become two of the biggest R/C events. Submitted for your approval - my .02.

Prestige of the event - This is hard to gauge. Champs has been around forever, but you can't argue with the fact that The Snowbirds gets way more entries. You get all the factory talent at both events. Call it even.

Track - This is a hard one too. If you like tight technical tracks, then Champs wins. If you like wide open horse-power layouts, then its the 'Birds.

Accommodations - The Holiday Inn is much nicer than the Ramada, but there is way more to do in Orlando than there is to do in Independence, OH.

Practice - I personally liked the Champs format of running with your qualifier for the practice rounds. You got to know who to look out for and who was fast in your heat before it actually counted. However there is something to be said for the 'Birds format where you have an opportunity to run more often. Also, the warmup "Club Races" at the Snowbirds is cool.

Information/Promotion - Hands down Mike Boylan KILLS Mr. Bill in promoting the event. The Snowbirds website is up all year and is updated constantly. The Champs website is no more than a link to a bulletin board. The packet that I got in the mail for the Champs had inconsistencies and wrong information in it. It actually said practice started on Thursday, not Wednesday as it actually did. Also, changing the ride-height rule in TC at the last minute?

Pits - For both events you pit in your room. However, its so cool at the Snowbirds to have all the factory drivers pitting out in the open so you can see them and approach them and see what they're running.

Atmosphere - I like the 'Birds better. I like the fact that the fastest on-road AND oval guys are at the same event.

Level of insanity - This one is close, but racing 24 hours straight for 5 days at the Snowbirds takes the cake.

Announcers - Again, super close, but you can't beat hearing practice heats being announced with old-school hair metal playing in the background. Advantage, Champs.

On-site Hobby shop - Snowbirds offers a fully-stocked hobby shop with parts for every car. Champs didn't have much in the way of parts unless you ran a Calandra car or wanted hop-up TC3 parts. I can't believe I couldn't buy a Jaco Foam tire.

Agree? Disagree?