R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO)
Old 06-29-2013, 10:06 AM
sapperc
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Carranza76
I had it lock up on me twice once using the aluminum slider and once using the stock slider, I clean and blow off my cars after each race as I "try" to keep them as clear as possible.

with the Exotek rack I don't need to worry about that any more.

If TLR was to come out with a different steering system similar to the exotek rack the world would have a different view. I honestly think the rack makes this buggy unbeatable in the right hands.

Either way its just an opinion of mine and holds no water to each his own.
As long as we are having fun that should be all that matters.
The 22SCT is terrific, best 2wd SCT on the market! But for outdoor loose dirt and dusty conditions the stock plastic steering rack system is definitely the weak link in an otherwise outstanding RC. My first steering rack and housing only lasted about 2 months of light use before it started to bind. Tried the DP delrin rack in a new plastic housing with no joy. So for now I am back to using a new stock system which is already showing wear after one month of light use. As someone else mentioned, its the housing that wears excessively, not the rack. Replacing just the rack is futile. And here's the real kicker. Everything else holds up to outdoor use. Nothing else has worn out or broken in the 6 months I have been racing my 22SCT.

Outdoors in dusty, dirty conditions is really tough on this steering system, even with thorough maintenance between runs. Replacing the rack and housing as needed is certainly an option that works well, but I'd prefer to find a more permanent solution. I am working my way through after-market options from least expensive to most expensive. I already have the all AL rack and housing ordered, so that is next. The price has dropped by half on that option so I couldn't pass it by. Besides, I still think the rack and housing system is a novel idea and should give long service even outdoors with the right design and materials.

So, I am wondering when you tried the AL rack was it with the stock plastic housing or did you try the all AL after-market option? What lubrication , if any, did you try?

Also, anyone who has used the Exotek steering system in their 22SCT for at least 2 - 3 months, can you comment on your track conditions, whether your use is light to heavy, and compare steering system looseness now to when first installed?

There is no judgement intended here. Trying to get feedback from anyone who, like me, has had issues with the steering system and has tried different ideas for a fix. Thanks!