R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 550 2 pole -vs 4 pole motors. Any good discussions?
Old 06-29-2013, 12:57 AM
egobrkr
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by -DOZER-
Have you given any thoughts to the newer Pro4 HD's? I'm running a 550 4.5T 2 pole in a SCTE and a Novak SC Pro ESC. 1st runs at the track lacked low end to clear jumps with little runway (geared 13/40). I've since then retarded the motor timing (on the can) and increased Min Drive on the Novak to 6. Heading to WCRC tonight to see if it makes a noticeable difference. If I don't find the low end I'm looking for I'd like to get into another 550 can. I just don't know if I should go lower KV (~3500) or 4 plole 550.
I think your biggest problem is the esc. The novak 4.5 motor need a lot of power to give it max. I use the activ8 with 14t pinion and 40 spur. My timing on the end bell is at 30 and in the esc I run 25 degrees from 16k to 29k. I do not have a lack of torque. I run on a large indoor track and have no problem with the tekin boys. They have beat me before but it was not the system that beat me. It was driver error or just not my day but I have beat them too. I have not thought to switch to the 550 4pole. I have not felt that I needed to as I still have more in the system that I have now if I need it. I also run in roar races and the last time I checked the 550 4pole is still not roar approved. Just remember the fastest motor does not win races. It smooth and consistent thaf wins.