R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Getting people hooked in touring- What chassis?
Old 06-23-2013, 06:24 AM
JimmyMack12
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by fivepointnine
for me, coming back into the hobby after a 10 year absence (my last TC was a new at the time HPI RS4 pro 3) its not the chassis that is off putting (well over $500 for a "competitive" chassis is a little overboard), it is the cost and complexity of electronics now. Between Lipo's (cheapest pack at my LHS is over $65) and sensored brushless combos (LHS is over $150 for the setup) you already went over the price of the chassis and you have not bought a Lipo charger yet and a 2.4 GHZ radio (I love these compared to the AM radios from back in the day) Maybe you can spec some cheaper equipment and really limit the motors. I mean the 21.5 brushless motors are way faster than the 27T stock motors from back in the day. Plus as a old school guy I have a deep hatred for RTR cars. I like to know what makes them tick and all the little idiosyncrasies that go into each chassis.
Myself, I am setting up a 21.5 spec class racer from a old Yoko chassis to get back into it, I have no interest in running mod or even 17.5 for that matter.
Rant over.
As an R/C veteran (26+ years in the hobby), I'm going VTA racing.

Spec 1 S1 chassis: $115
Novak's 25.5 Ballistic/Edge ESC combo: $150
VTA-legal tires: $40
Body: $20
SMC 5000mAh 2-cell LiPo: $30
Spektrum DX3C 2.4Ghz radio: $100

$490 for a complete package. Still less than what I spent on *just* a pan-car oval chassis and tires.

VTA is designed so that you can make older chassis competitive. Then you add a fairly decent charger for about $129 (I have the Thunder Power 610C). Still not too bad.