R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Big Races: Target Audience?
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013, 09:21 AM
syndr0me
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I wanted to clarify my thoughts a bit from my original post. There are two separate things that are bothering me about this. One is how stock racing is (again) being somewhat disrespected. I'll address that in a later post though. The other is how RedRC handled this.

One of the local racers last night told me I was overreacting to RedRC, saying they were just the messenger, more or less. And I understand why he thinks that, but I feel like through omission, they did a lot more than just pass along the things that drivers were saying about the race. By not mentioning that RRoC was actually more successful overall than several years past, they skewed Marc's (and supposedly others') comments to support the opinon that RRoC should move out of the US. Because that's how you revive things, right? Take away one of the premiere events.

First, why even bother publishing those thoughts for everybody to see? All that accomplishes is further damage to the US reputation for on-road racing, something that is undeserved. Some of us are out here grinding it out, doing everything we can to try and make on-road better in this country, and we're having some success. I find it odd that in the same week, Scotty is quoted as saying that things are on the upswing here, even giving us a shout out (thanks!), and RedRC is publishing comments that paint a picture that's quite the opposite. And by completely omitting the fact that the race had more overall entries than years past, they're basically skewing things toward a conclusion that just isn't true. I know better than to expect journalistic integrity from a blog run out of mom's basement, but it still infuriates me.

If you want to continue to help revive on-road in America, stop talking about how it's dying. And that includes you, RedRC, who can't be bothered to cover any of the big on-road events here like IIC or Snowbirds. Don't think I haven't noticed.