R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013, 10:23 PM
Granpa
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by I)arkness
Grandpa are the 1016's the same as 53254's but for TCS or are they a different compound? as i saw you mentioned "old and new sgrips" but was wondering how you tell the difference?
I think the stock numbers are the same for the old and new S-Grips. The easiest way to tell is the packaging. The old S-Grips were in a box, the new in a plastic bag. The rubber is very different with the new ones being of a much softer cpd. I think the rubber itself has more grip, but the overall performance leaves a lot to be desired. The other way to tell is by the stiffness of the sidewalls and just how the rubber feels. The old ones have a stiffer sidewall and the tire just feels harder.

The 1016s are the old S-Grips, Tamiya hard foam insert, on a special rim that was not available for purchase separately. That way the tech people could tell that you were using the Spec tire. I may be wrong here, but I think these were just used in the USA and Canada. We may be getting a new series of !016s with the new rubber, which is just freaking us out. That's why I took a little driven Mini and started to play with set ups on it.