R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Front brakes!
Thread: Front brakes!
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2013, 12:23 AM
Mind_Blower
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ok so I got to race last weekend and let me just say that the changes I made to make the brakes stronger worked great! It will now lock them up! The track layout was the same as the last time I ran on it which was good and bad. The bad being that the layout just doesn't require hard braking anywhere. The good, I could compare lap times. For this type of layout I thought about having the front brakes automatically apply as I turn the steering wheel. The further I turn the more brake is being applied. I also played with how much was applied to the inside compared to the outside tire. That made a HUGE difference in how the truck handled in the corners. Basically if you wanted more steering you'd want more braking on the inside tire, and more braking on the outside tire gave less steering. 5% difference could be felt without being too drastic but definitely changed it's handling. This could come in handy. During warm up laps if it's loose or pushing I can just adjust the front brakes to help make up for it. This would not be good if the track had a section that you would be accelerating while turning. i.e. A straight with a kink in it. But this layout had nothing like that. My fastest lap was .3 seconds faster than last time I raced on that layout and I could fairly constantly match my old fast lap.

I made a quick video of stopping distances. I was going to do a lot more video stuff but spaced it out till the race night was over. Sorry.

P.S. Yes that's carpet and foam tires I race on.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.