R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - My 1st On-Road Race Results - I'm Hooked!
Old 06-03-2013, 09:35 PM
erchn
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nickerz
This last Saturday my LHS held a night race and it was a blast! I've only raced one time about 20 years ago, so this was my 1st organized race with multiple heats. I ran in the Novice class using a 21.5T motor and ended up TQ'ing and taking 2nd place overall in the A-Main, racing against 4 other guys.

The guy I bought my car from saw me do some practice laps earlier in the day and noticed I was having some issues, so he helped me out a lot with some adjustments and he even ran some laps with the car himself and told me I desperately need to buy new tires. I kinda figured I did b/c the car was all over the place and hard to control. But other than that, I can't tell what the car is doing and I wouldn't have a clue on what adjustments it needs. I think this is my biggest concern as the good drivers know their car and know how to correct issues to drive better. I guess I just need more time to learn the car and how to discern what tweaks need to be made.

Since I didn't have the money for new tires ($45 for the Sorex 32 ones that all the guys recommend) I just ran the old tires as is since it was a Club race and not a Series race (which tracks your points and you can win gift cards, etc.). But this coming Saturday is a Series race, so I'll see if I can afford the tires then. How long will new tires last? It's at night so the temps are a little cooler maybe between 80-90 degrees??? But up to 100 during the day. I was also thinking if I can't afford new tires right now, maybe using the old tires could make me a better driver later, as I have to work harder on controlling the car and turning. I just don't have any reference point right now but hopefully that will change with more time.

And yeah...I've been bitten by the race bug guys...and I am HOOOOOOOOOOOKED!!!!

Here are the print outs for my 2 qualifying races and the Main race for Novice (I'm Car# 1)...
Just my $.02, but at your level (at most levels) running a longer life tire will get you 95% of the performance and will treat you very nicely. Comparable to the Sorex 32 are the Team Powers 34 tires, spec tire at the Reedy race this year. The tire lasts a long time and doesn't fade too badly over 10-15+ runs. They can usually be had for about $30 a set. Call NorCal hobbies, they can find a local dealer or ship to you.

Good luck, and great to hear you had a great time!
Ethan