R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - RD/Richey Racing Engine
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2004, 12:38 AM
Z00M
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Aussie Debut of the Short Stroke R3

Hi All,

I ran the new motor yesterday for it's first competition outing here in Australia(to my knowledge anyway).

I still couldn't get the top end as lean as I would have wanted it and the motor seemed to really be fueled up in the top end and didn't want to rev out. Temps were under 150 degrees F and it was 35 degrees celcius outside(dunno the conversion to F but I would say it was in the 90's).

Anyhow, my lap times were about where I had been with the Team Infinity motor but I knew there was more to come.

I swapped the high speed needle for an STS needle and the problem was solved. The needles didn't look any different to the naked eye so I don't know if I might have dislodged something when I changed the needles that fixed the problem or if the needle is different in some way.

Either way, the motor was now an instant performer almost a second a lap faster than before the needle change. I qualified 4th trying to get to grips with the extra power.

In the final I made it to the lead and then started to lap some traffic. Not being experienced at being faster on the straights than other cars, I managed to run up the back of an MTX3 running a Maxy engine. I flamed out and after restarting I made my way back to 3rd by the end of the 10 min final. The temps were at about 210F so it was all good.

Great engine Dennis, I couldn't be happier. Maybe just try and get your feedback about the needle.

Cheers,

Mike.