R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2013, 08:10 AM
JamesL_71
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Speyederjedi
Looking for a little help here fellas. I've been racing nitro on-road for years but our local race program was shut down due to a move by our LHS a little over 2 years ago. Another on-road racing program has gotten off the ground and they are running quite a few electric on-road classes. I'm looking into jumping into 1/12 electric on-road and I've been looking at the Xray and Serpent 1/12 kits. I can get a decent price on either one but was wondering what other manufacturers to look at that will have good parts support. Any suggestions? Looking forward to your input.

Regards,

D
Im going to take a wild guess here and assume you are going to be running @ Als in San Antonio?? They have a good program going over there now and the 12th scale class is thriving.

Regarding kit choices, I feel that you may be heading in the wrong direction with those two. While the Xray and Serpent kits are very good, and will be competitive... they are not very popular in your neck of the woods. I do not believe that many (any?) guys run them in SA.

I would recommend one of the more common 12th kits being raced in the central TX area... CRC, TOP, or AE. My personal choice would be TOP... and while it is a bit of a biased opinion, the TOP Rebel 12 did win Stock 12th at both Carpet and Paved Nats this year.

If I were in your shoes, I would pick up the same kit as the local fast guys are running. 12th scale is a blast, but if you aren't familiar with the class, your chassis, setup, etc... it can be frustrating. Especially on asphalt. Id chat with Jim Hartnett and see what he says... I suspect he will recommend the CRC or TOP, as well.