R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Spec-R R1
Thread: Spec-R R1
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2013, 09:40 AM
.crispy
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by JimmyMack12
Just purchased my first Touring car to build a VTA car: the Spec-R S1 (the "cheaper" car). I bought the metal ball studs and the aluminum hexes for the wheels.

What else, in your opinion, is needed to make the car fast(er)?

What are my options for spur gears? I'm used to the oval pan-car 64-pitch gears.
Nothing is necessary to make it "faster".

I bought a front gear diff. because I like to drive them over a spool. If you do that, you need plastic blades for the front driveshafts.

I run a 96 tooth 64 pitch spur. I like the HPI spur. It is white so I can see if I have tooth damage easier and getting the mesh right is easier (for me). Also it is thin in the middle. With a 96 tooth, I can run an assortment of pinions to get me anywhere from 3.6 to a 4.1 FDR and it all fits.

The aluminum hexes are nice and pretty. Now use them elsewhere. The vintage tires are too deep in front and will rub on your front bearing carriers. You need more "offset". I got the grey Traxxas hexes and sanded them down to the thickness I wanted. You can also use the purpose made spacers but then you have less and less hex in the wheel to hold onto the hex.