R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Speed Passion F1 car - The SP1
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2013, 04:48 PM
Korey Harbke
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Are there any plans to make carbon reinforced plastic parts for this car? I've found a lot of the components to be excessively soft. Specifically the side link and the central pivot. It captures the nuts that hold the pivot in place, but not very well. When tightening the pivot to the chassis, the nuts just spin inside the plastic.

My current fix for the side links is to use AE 12R5 or Tamiya carbon L parts from the F104. Since the kit side links are so soft, they don't really do a good job of keeping the rear pod in line. This prevents the car from taking a solid "set" in the corner. Especially if the traction is high.

I've also found paying close attention to the lower front pivot balls is helpful as well. These can oblong out really fast and the fit between the kingpin and the plastic changes as impacts occur, or as temperature fluctuates. If you dampen the front suspension with grease or silicone damper lube like myself, the fit between the kingpin and that pivot ball is critical.

Another tip about the center shock. I would liberally coat the oring in shock slime, as it swells extremely fast. It might be a good idea to check a different type of oring, like the blue TRF orings.

Otherwise, the car has been great. I like the rear pod design as it has very easy access to the motor. The car drives awesome, setup changes are noticeable, but the car isn't overly sensitive to setup errors. Like many others are saying, tires are everything. I'm currently running the typical Pit Shimizu setup and it seems solid. In comparison to a lot of the other F1s I was competing against, the car is much smoother, but still easy to rotate around corners. I'm just looking for a little more forward traction and it will be dialed

-Korey